Over the past 3 months xScape Theme Framework has come a long way and yesterday reached 1.4.0 release. In the same time 4 themes using the xScape are released. But, xScape still has a ways to go and many new things are planned. Here is more on the next development cycle.
xScape roadmap is updated from time to time, and you can always use it as a reference to see what’s coming. I can’t guarantee the dates of releases, and that’s why plans are milestone based. Next milestone is 1.5.0 and at least 6-7 versions will be released until it’s reached. So, the features in the roadmap will be split in the releases leading to the milestone.
For the 1.5 milestone, current list of planned features is as follows:
- Gravatar: you can upload custom gravatar to use instead of default ones.
- Breadcrumbs and archives customizations. You can specify the format used to display what these heading blocks display.
- GD Press Tools Pro Maintenance Mode: themes can add templates for maintenance mode.
- Improvements to templates dealing with custom taxonomies and custom post types.
For the 1.6/1.7 milestone, current list of planned features is as follows:
- GD Affiliate Center: custom locations to place banners into each theme.
- Conditional layouts control based on taxonomies.
- Login form drop down or widget like to be integrated on the each page.
As for the Lite version of the framework to be used in free themes, it’s not happening any time soon, so xScape will remain exclusively premium framework and all themes only premium. Once I get time to make lite version, some themes will get free versions, but I have no idea when that’s gonna happen.
This is not set in stone, and I am sure that many other things will be added also. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment.