GD Content Tools Pro is a brand new plugin, but it was made as the continuation of work done with old GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro plugin. And it is only natural for users of the old plugin to get access to the new plugin, free of charge.
Before we get to the licensing, you can read more about the new plugin and all its features in the official release post here: GD Content Tools Pro 5.0: Rygel.
Now, to the licensing. Since the GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro is no longer in development, it will not be available for purchase anymore. GD Content Tools Pro is now available, and it will have the same price as the old plugin had:
- All users with active Dev4Press Plugins Pack license have access to the new GD Content Tools Pro plugin.
- All users with active GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro license have access to the new GD Content Tools Pro plugin.
- If your GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro license expires, your access to both plugins will be gone.
- If you extend your GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro license, you will have access to both plugins for as long as your license is active.
- If your GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro license is up for renewal in the next 2 month, you will still see that plugin on the renewal checkout. After that, renewal will switch to the new plugin.
If you still want to use old plugin, it is important to know:
- For as long as your original license is active, you can download and use the old plugin as you did before.
- The old plugin will get one more release next week to include information related to the new plugin.
- GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro is no longer supported and there will be no bug fixing updates.
- The old support forum will remain active for another 6 months, and after that, it will be archived.
- The forum remains open to questions related to the transfer to new plugin and questions about the plugin features.
- Bugs can be reported, but there will be no fixes available, there is a new plugin to take the place of the old plugin.
Most important thing is the actual switch from the old to the new plugin:
- The new plugin is not compatible with the old one. Both plugins can even be used at the same time.
- GD Content Tools Pro includes tools for transferring definitions of custom post types, custom taxonomies, meta fields and meta boxes to the new plugin. Check out this article for more information about the migration process.
- Any custom code written for the old plugin for use in the theme or another plugin will not work with the new plugin. Any such code you need to rewrite to be able to use it with the new plugin.
- Do not install GD Content Tools Pro on the live website without first testing the transfer and usability of the plugin. Use development or staging environment to test GD Content Tools Pro transfer from GD Custom Posts and Taxonomies Tools Pro.
- Migrating from the old plugin to the new plugin can break your website if not tested properly. Dev4Press is not responsible for any data loss or problems if this happens.
Since GD Content Tools Pro is a new plugin, it is expected that some issues are remaining unresolved. Please, test the new plugin before switching from the old one. And, report any issues in the support forum, and I will do my best to fix problems as soon as possible.