The work is ongoing on the development for the GD Content Tools Pro 6.0, with the preliminary release date set to February 9, 2022. The new version is a big step forward, and preparation for even more changes coming in the future.
Before I talk more about the upcoming features and improvements, it is important to note the breaking changes and requirements.
The new plugin version will require WordPress 5.3 or newer (tested with 5.9), PHP 7.2, or newer. The Tagger Addon feature has been removed from the plugin because all third-party services used for it are gone, and the feature worked with Classic Editor only. The plugin also loses capability for having addons, and bbPress support is now reintegrated into plugin code.
The image below shows updated styling (and some extra features) for the metabox in the post editor, here inside the Block Editor. The focus of this new version is indeed on the metabox aspect, but many other things have been changed.
So, the list of changes so far, with a few more things to be included until the release date.
- Updated system requirements
- Updated custom post types and taxonomies labels
- Plugin styling done using SASS with a lot of changes
- Metabox styling improved with Block editor specific changes
- Improved metabox field repeater controls
- Updates to many fields, including Image and Gallery
- Updated PHP and WordPress data sources lists
- More options for the bbPress Integration
- Removed support for addons and addons moved into core
- Removed Tagger addon
- Removed many legacy, outdated and deprecated functions
- Several bug fixes, mostly metabox related
I will try to release the Beta version next week to test some of the changes that might be causing problems depending on the use context, and if nothing unexpected happens, the plugin will be released on February 9, 2022.