Work on the new moderation plugin for bbPress forums started a few weeks ago, and while I was very busy with various development work on other plugins, I have made good progress with the new plugin.
The plugin core has been done, and all the admin side stuff and some front-end work have been completed, too. This is the breakdown of what is done as of today;
- I have completed the system that adds additional pages to the forums on the front end, showing all the moderation tools and panels. Right now, there will be a total of 9 new pages added to the forums under the new /moderation/ endpoint. Each page will have a template, and the theme can override them if you want to make changes.
- Code for adding extra capabilities to roles is also completed. These capabilities control access to some of the pages, giving keymasters more control and access to some panels moderators can’t access.
As of the next phase, the development will include:
- Admin side settings pages for global settings and the default settings for forums. Each forum can override some settings, allowing for better moderation control on the individual forum level.
- Metabox for the forum to override default settings. These options will be accessible to keymasters only and only from the admin side, and they will basically control various moderation settings.
- Integration with coreActivity plugin to log various moderation-related events. These are still not clearly defined, but they will help you monitor activities related to moderation via coreActivity plugin logs.
- Implementation for some of the frontend panels with basic styling.
The next update and progress report will be published in about two weeks, and that trend will continue until the plugin is ready for release, most likely in February 2024.
Let me know if you have any ideas related to moderation, and I will try to implement them.