With the WordPress 5.8 release last week, and the new Block Editor based Widgets panel, most plugins with widgets were broken. I have already released multiple plugin updates last week, and today all bbPress plugins with widgets are updated.
If you want to read more about the problems the new Widgets panel caused, check out the previous post on this blog: Widgets Panel with Block editor. This post includes all relevant information about the Widgets panel problems, and my recommendation stands: don’t use the Blocks Widgets panel, switch back to the Classic Widgets.
Today, updates have been released for:
- GD bbPress Toolbox Pro, version 6.5.1
- GD Topic Polls Pro, version 3.3.3
- GD Topic Prefix Pro, version 3.1.2
- GD Members Directory, version 2.1.2
Updates are solving the following Widgets with Blocks Editor related issues:
- Widgets don’t load and show error on the panel: all plugins were affected by this, because new panel does things in the wrong way without using proper admin side page context, and my plugins were not loading some of the code needed.
- Styling for the widgets interface: all plugins were affected by this too, and now, there is updated styling to make widgets look as they were before.
What these updates don’t fix (and will not fix):
- Previews in many cases don’t work: the reason for this is the context of the widget preview, and it is impossible to get the proper context inside the Widgets Panel on the admin side, and widget content can be visible on the frontend only in the proper context.
- Some errors during the widgets saving: this is caused by the errors in WordPress 5.8 and the Legacy Widget. Until there is the fix for the Legacy Widget to solve the issue with the saving, you might see some warnings in the error log. I can’t fix these because it would break my plugins, and the problem is caused by the WordPress, not my plugin. Once the WordPress is properly updated, I will revisit this issue again, and make the changes.
- Some settings might not save: due to the major bug in the WordPress 5.8 Legacy Widget, saving process for the widget is fired more than once with improper passing of instance settings.
The only way to avoid issues is to disable Block Editor powered Widgets Panel and use Classic Widgets. There is a good chance that current issues with the new panel will take a while to be fixed, and it might not even happen in the next few months.
To see the list of all the changes, please check out the changelogs for: GD bbPress Toolbox Pro, GD Members Directory for bbPress, GD Topic Polls Pro for bbPress, GD Topic Prefix Pro for bbPress. If you find any issues, please, report them in the support forums for: GD bbPress Toolbox Pro, GD Members Directory for bbPress, GD Topic Polls Pro for bbPress, GD Topic Prefix Pro for bbPress.